Sunday, July 29, 2018

IP (Instant Pot) Turkey Sweet Potato Chili

Originally shared by my Cardio Barre instructor, Danielle, I've adapted this for IP cooking.  Normally, I triple the recipe, though because it is SO good.

Ingredients:
20 oz. package of lean ground turkey breast
Sea Salt to taste
1/2 chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, or to taste
1 can Rotel tomatoes
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 bay leaf
1 medium sweet potato, uncooked, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
3/4 cup water or broth
cilantro for garnish

I usually use the saute mode on my IP to brown the turkey first.  It also heats the inner pot so it takes less time to come up to cooking pressure if you turn on the saute mode.

You can mix all of the ingredients together and cook on high pressure HP for 10 minutes, followed by a quick release QR.  This makes the sweet potatoes very soft, so I've experimented...

I now cook everything except the sweet potatoes and garnish on HP for 7 minutes, do a QR then stir in the sweet potatoes and cook on HP for 3 minutes, then a QR.  The sweet potatoes aren't as mushy this way.

You like spicy?  Try some or all of these variations:
1.  Use the Chipotle flavored Rotel tomatoes.  I usually triple this recipe, so I use 2 cans of regular Rotel and 1 can of the Chipotle flavor.

2.  Instead of tomato sauce, you can use mexican Pato sauce or use it for part of the tomato sauce.  Again, when I triple the recipe, I use one can of Pato sauce, then two cans of plain tomato sauce.

3.  Chili powder, I have substituted Chipotle Chili powder and it is good, too.

This freezes well, and makes a great grab and go lunch or snack without getting off track too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment